Oregano Planter

Fall 2016  |  2 Week Long Project  |  Completed Individually

This short project was completed just before the hoop house project, as a way for us to start experimenting with then membrane-like designs. We were given a plant and the task of creating a planter for it using heat-shrink plastic and piano wire.

I was given an oregano plant. After researching oregano, I found that biggest necessity for the plant was drainage. The easiest way to ensure that my plant received the proper amount of drainage would have been to simply poke holes in the bottom of my planter, after I'd finished designing it, but I instead wanted to incorporate drainage into the design, itself. Because of this, I came up with a double layered, spiral design. This allows water to seep between the two layers to drain out. I also decided to plant my oregano up-side down. This means that there is a larger hole at the bottom of the planter, which allows for more drainage, but it also makes for a larger surface at the top to collect rainwater, and, since the plant in underneath the planter, it is protected from snow that could pile up on the top. Plus it just looks so fun and topsy-turvy!

 
I'm channeling my inner Instagram hipster with this photo of my final planter on a wooden pallet.

I'm channeling my inner Instagram hipster with this photo of my final planter on a wooden pallet.

These front and side elevations show how the two layers of plastic spiral around each other.

These front and side elevations show how the two layers of plastic spiral around each other.

This diagram shows the two main paths that the water can drain out of the planter- between the two layers of plastic and out the bottom hole

This diagram shows the two main paths that the water can drain out of the planter- between the two layers of plastic and out the bottom hole